Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Homemade Sugar Scrub

I found this simple recipe from a blog on healthy & green living:
1/2 cup sugar
Enough cold-pressed oil (olive, wheat germ, peanut, corn, or sunflower) to dampen the mixture
I wanted a really simple recipe that would allow me to take household ingredients and make my own sugar scrub (which sugar scrubs at the store, in my opinion, are way more expensive most of the time than it should be).  You can get really fancy with the recipe, adding in banana, avocado, etc. depending on what type of moisturization you are looking for.

Here's my verdict on this recipe and how I feel it works:

This recipe is so easy and quick to make!  I used sugar and vegetable oil since that was all I had.  I also mixed a few drops of rose perfume oil in that I just got from Coastal Scents and then I scrubbed away.  I felt awesome afterwards.  It exfoliated well and left behind a thin layer of oil to protect and moisturize my skin.  I didn't feel oily or greasy, just moisturized and refreshed.


I definitely recommend creating this quick scrub at home especially if you are trying to save money or use up some ingredients you have lying around.  You can scrub as gently or as hard as you want depending on the kind of exfoliation you are looking for and you can customize the scrub to your liking.  I think this is a great homemade option for people who are allergic to certain ingredients and need options that are free of certain chemicals.

PS - If I am going to buy a scrub ever again, I like Bath & Body Works Cucumber Melon Salt Scrub 16 oz.  It's my favorite and I like to get it every once in awhile, especially when there is some sort of sale going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment